Emotional Support Animal Form
The DOGtor has streamlined the emotional support animal (ESA) process that starts by filling out a simple form. By fine-tuning the process based on extensive experience with thousands of people that we’ve helped over the years, we’ve made the form as straight-forward and uncomplicated as possible.
What Exactly is the ESA Form?
To have an emotional support animal that will be certified to live or fly with you, you will need an official ESA letter from a licensed mental health professional. The DOGtor ESA form is the first step of a psychological assessment by one of the licensed healthcare professionals in our vast network to see if getting an ESA prescription is the right thing for you.
What Happens After You Complete the Form?
After you fill out the form, a licensed mental health professional will contact you to complete your ESA letter assessment. Once approved, you will be sent a properly written ESA letter (in both electronic and paper form) that complies 100% with federal law. If, in the unlikely event that you do not qualify, The DOGtor will send you a same-day 100% refund.
Am I a candidate? Should I fill it out?
If you feel that an emotional support animal would have a positive effect on your mental or emotional health and well-being, it is likely that you are a candidate. Since about 1 in 5 American adults (over 46 million) experiences some level of mental health issue in any given year, it is not uncommon for many people to be considered qualified for the benefits of an ESA in their lives. Typical justifications for an emotional support animal include:
- Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Social Phobia
- Adjustment Disorder
Why Use DOGtor Instead of Seeing Someone in Person?
There are many reasons that people prefer The DOGtor’s online process, including:
- If you are not approved, you get your money refunded.
- Not all licensed mental health professionals support the use of an ESA, preferring to prescribe drugs and therapy sessions.
- Not all licensed mental health professionals are up-to-date on the ESA letter details that must be included for official recognition by federal law.
- Logistics can be a hindrance for people who do not live close to the office of a licensed mental health professional.
- Some people have limited mobility, so it is difficult to manage an office visit.
- Office visits can become expensive.
Basically, the ease and simplicity that our online form offers, even for people with limited computer skills, have resulted in more and more people choosing this option as opposed to physically visiting a mental health professional at their practice.
What Can I Expect When Filling Out the Form?
Be prepared to spend about 30 minutes filling out the form. You will be asked for general contact information such as name and address. You will also be asked about the type of ESA you are considering: Dog? Cat? Other?
On the form, you will be asked if you feel that you have any type of emotional or mental health conditions that qualifies you for an ESA, or if you have ever been formally diagnosed with a mental-health related condition by a mental health professional. You will also be asked about any potentially stress inducing major life events or physical changes you have experienced over the last year.
You will also be asked about conditions or illnesses (not related to mental health) that you have been diagnosed with along with a request to list any medications or supplements that are currently taking. The form has areas for you to indicate if you drink alcoholic beverages or use illicit drugs.
Be prepared to answer brief questions about your health, such as whether or not you overeat or undereat, whether you have trouble sleeping, and whether or not you feel depressed. There will also be quick questions about worrying and how that might relate to panic, anxiety, or phobia (such as fear of flying).
At the end of the assessment, you will be asked to choose the type of plan that best suits your needs:
- The Compassion Plan – no expiration ESA housing letter, ESA travel letter, no re-evaluation, discounted updates
- The Care Plan – 1 year ESA housing letter, must be re-evaluated annually, no discount on update, no ESA travel letter
- The Travel Plan – 1 year ESA travel letter, must be re-evaluated annually, no discount on update, no ESA housing letter
You will also have some options regarding shipping and whether or not you want a Pet ID Card.
Ready to Qualify for Your Emotional Support Animal?
The DOGtor will make it as uncomplicated, hassle-free, and affordable as possible. Even if you’re not sure that you qualify, we offer a money-back guarantee.