Do I Qualify for an Emotional Support Animal Letter?
Pets and owners are emotionally connected. However, if you want to make that supportive relationship legal you need an official emotional support animal letter. With an emotional support animal prescription, airlines must allow your pet to fly with you in the cabin or so landlords/property managers must allow your pet to live with you.
Emotional Support Animal Qualifications
To qualify for an emotional support animal (ESA) letter, you will need to demonstrate that you have a psychological disorder such as anxiety, depression or PTSD. A licensed mental health professional, such as a therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist, must write a properly formatted letter stating that the presence of an animal is needed for your mental health and emotional well-being.
The details needed from the mental health professional include that you are under their care and treatment for a disability as described in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM), such as:
- AD/HD (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder is characterized by behavioral problems such as impulsivity and difficulty paying attention.
- Anxiety disorders involve extreme fear or worry and include generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) and panic disorder.
- Cognitive disorders are mental health disorders that affect abilities, such as learning, memory and problem-solving.
- Depression is a mood disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, anxiety, hopelessness and pessimism.
- Social anxiety disorder is a mental health condition characterized by a powerful, unrelenting fear of being watched and judged by others.
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) is a mental health condition triggered by witnessing or experiencing a terrifying event and experiencing unwelcome, upsetting recollections of the event.
Your ESA Qualifications Letter
Your ESA qualifications letter must have the following characteristics:
- written on the mental health professional’s letterhead (with contact information)
- include their license type, date of the license, license number, and the issuing state
- signed and dated
How to Qualify for an ESA
People can feel better with the emotional support afforded them by their pets. If you qualify for an ESA and receive a certification letter, you cannot be forced to pay extra fees, told you cannot live somewhere or limited in travel options based on your pet. The DOGtor can help you get the proper emotional support letter to help keep you and your special pet together. With the DOGtor, it’s surprisingly fast, simple, and affordable.